Concrete is a construction material that comprises cement, gravel, sand and water. It is an essential tool in construction work. In carrying out successful construction work, concrete is very significant. More importantly, concrete is the strength behind having good construction work. In addition, concrete is the most frequently used artificial material on earth. It is an important construction material used extensively in creating buildings, bridges, roads and dams. However, our focus is to dig deep into knowing the benefits of using a machine called a concrete mixer. Therefore, what is a concrete mixer? Click here to read more about Concrete work in Sydney.
A Concrete mixer is a tool that is useful for all concreting companies in Sydney at the construction site. It is a machine used to mix up materials like cement, gravel, sand and water to form concrete. A concrete mixer is a device that homogeneously combines cement, aggregates and water to create concrete. First, however, let us briefly check the history of concrete mixers.
T. L. Smith in Milwaukee developed the first concrete mixer. In 1900, smith perceived that there should be a way to mix concrete to reduce human effort. Before that time, concreting companies in Sydney and beyond make use of shovels and other handy materials to mix concrete. And then, it takes a lot of human effort.
The mixer already exhibited the still common basic construction with a tiltable conical drum with blades. However, on February 9, 1904, the first small concrete mixer was patented in America by Richard Bodlaender of Breslau. Ever since then, people have been using a concrete mixer to mix concrete.
Therefore, having known the short history of the small cement mixer, then we need to consider its size. What size of small mixer does concreting companies in Sydney should depend on? Initially, a small concrete mixer can hold two bags of cement with other materials that will bring out the good quality of concrete. Therefore, our candid advice to concreting companies in Sydney is to use this small cement mixer wisely.
However, it is reasonable for concreting companies in Sydney to know how long a concrete mixer should mix concrete. First, mix the concrete for about 3-5 minutes until a uniform and workable consistency are achieved. Also, if additional water is needed, add a small quantity of water parsimoniously. Correctly mixed concrete should look like thick oatmeal and hold its shape when squeezed in a gloved hand.
TYPES OF CONCRETE MIXER
There are two main types of concrete mixers
- Continuous mixer
- Batch mixer
- Continuous mixers feed the ingredients into the drum, mix them and release the slurry concurrently and continuously until the work is completed. Also, continuous mixers consist of on-tilting drums with screw-type knife-edges rotating in endless motion in the mid of the drum. The drum is tilted downwards. It is usually at an angle of fifteen degrees in the opening direction and the mixing time. And this can be determined by its tilt.
However, continuous mixers are also used during extensive projects like building bonds, dams or skyscrapers, which require a nonstop flow of concrete. More importantly, these mixers are also used for low–slump concrete like pavements.
- Batch mixers are the most commonly used mixer by concreting companies in Sydney and beyond to make concrete. It is a type of mixer that mix and discharge concrete periodically. Unlike continuous mixers that requires a nonstop flow of concrete, batch mixers mix concrete batch by batch. This type of mixer consists of rotating drums with blades within. In this mixer, the elements are fed into the drum or pan in the anticipated quantity, and then the drum is spun at static speed. The subsequent mix is discharged and used. Once the first batch is done, the drum needs to be occupied again. The components are mixed and then released to make another batch. This process is repeated until the required quantity of concrete has been completed.
However, batch concrete mixers are divided into two types depending on their rotational axis – drum. The types of batch mixers are horizontal or inclined mixers and pan or vertical mixers.
BENEFITS OF USING CONCRETE MIXER IN CONSTRUCTION WORK
- Concrete mixer saves time: It has always been an advantage for concreting companies in Sydney and beyond. Using a concrete mixer on the field will save a lot of time and effort. One cannot compare the result of using a concrete mixer to old ways of mixing concrete. This machine enables concreting companies in Sydney to make better use of their time to focus on other aspects of the construction work. Concreting companies in Sydney with a concrete mixer will deliver the job when due. The usage of concrete mixers has made it possible for them to work based on the scheduled time. Therefore, using concrete mixers on-site saves time.
- Concrete mixers save money: This unique tool saves money. A concreting company in Sydney with a concrete mixer does not need to hire extra employees to mix concrete for them manually. Also, we would like to use this medium to advise concreting companies in Sydney. A concreting company should purchase a new concrete mixer than renting it. Once they get it, it will be helpful and useful for them for years.
- Concrete mixers keep concreters healthy: If one mixes concrete manually, one can have back pain, shoulders and muscle pains. Mixing concrete manually requires a lot of effort. Also, a concrete mixer can help concreters to make the building process painless. Furthermore, concrete mixers also make the job easier and result superior because the concrete mixed using a concrete mixer is more homogenous.
This article aims at why a concreting company should use a concrete mixer. We briefly discussed the meaning of concrete, the short history of concrete mixers, types of concrete mixers and the benefits of concrete mixers in construction work. Also, this article will help those that want to venture into the concrete business in Sydney to know the importance of getting a concrete mixer.